Monday, February 18, 2008

China, Geonocide, and the Olympics


It was good to read last week that Steven Spielberg has pulled out of the 2008 Olympics? What event was he in you might ask, the old man beard growing dash? Not quite. He originally was the artistic adviser for the opening ceremony in China. He's pulling out because of China's policy towards Darfur, Sudan. What he's upset about is the way that China supports the country and the geonocide that is going on there through trade and supplying arms.
“I find that my conscience will not allow me to continue business as usual,” Spielberg said in a statement. “At this point, my time and energy must be spent not on Olympic ceremonies but on doing all I can to help bring an end to the unspeakable crimes against humanity that continue to be committed in Darfur.”

At the bottom of this post I have both a link to an article on Spielberg pulling out and why he did it. Also I am posting a link of a paper I wrote for my International Development Studies class on this very issue. It is an issue that I am concerned about and expressed my concern by writing a letter to the Canadian Olympic Committee asking them to use the Olympics as a chance to pressure China to change their policy in regards to Darfur. Read both the articles, they are both eye openers and will make you more aware of what is going on in our world.


My Letter
Spielberg Article

No comments: