Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Best of 2008 So Far
This list may excite some and put others to sleep. But it makes it alot easier for my end-of-year list when I do one halfway through the year. And its a little more than half way through the year.
1. City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love
I've always sort of like City and Colour but this album has taken it to a whole new level. Dallas Green has an amazing voice and these folk songs are simply amazing. A CD I listen to almost nightly as I fall asleep. The collaboration with Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip is amazing.
2. Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
By the year's end I could see this being the number one album. Grounds for Divorce is one of those songs that you listen to on repeat constantly after first hearing it. I just got into Elbow this year, and they are a band you should definitely check out. This album is flawless from beginning to end. More exciting than Coldplay.
3. British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
This album has received a lot of criticism for sounding to much like the band trying to be U2 with rock anthems. But quite frankly I don't care, its a great album. Check out the song Waving Flags if you've never listened to them.
4. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Technically the album was released in 2007 online, but the winter of 2008 is when it first came out in cd form. I bought it without ever listening to a single song of theirs, but I did have a recommendation from a Coldplayer (Yellowish Eyes). Its an interesting electro-rock album that is also great from start to finish. One thing that has stood out about the album after discussion with other is the fact everybody seems to have a different favourite song, there is not just one or two standout singles.
5. Jason Collett - Here's To Being Here
Another amazing artist from the Broken Social Scene family. Jason delivers an album full of folk songs that never get old and sound like timeless Canadian classics. The songs are almost Bob Dylan like and provide a good listen if you like Dylan and/or Wilco...or Broken Social Scene.
6. Constantines - Kensington Heights
7. Portishead - Third
8. Plants and Animals - Parc Avenue
9. Evangelicals - The Evening Descends
10. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (I've only listened to this album for a few days, destined for top 5)
11. R.E.M. - Accelerate
12. Made In the Dark - Hot Chip
13. Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
14. Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell
15. Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now Youngster