Thursday, May 14, 2009
Albums of 2009 so far.
This calender year, my favourite albums have been those featuring female vocalists in the forefront. Having said that, it's not surprising to see Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Bat for Lashes in this list. With Metric you have Emily Haines and a sort of cute/pop rock sound. With Yeah Yeah Yeahs, you have Karen O. One minute you think she might rip off your head if you don't dance. But the next moment she is melting your heart with Hysteric. It's Blitz is a great demonstration of her talent as a female rock star. Natasha Khan of Bat for Lashes also shows off her amazing vocal skills, the best of the abovementioned trio. All three albums are a great listen, although Metric and Yeah Yeahs have more danceabilitly to them.
And what is in the zoo? Animal Collective have released an album that Pitchfork and other pretencious indie sites are loving and handing critical acclaim. Their album is one that keeps growing on me more and more as the year goes on. So much going on throughout the album making each listen a new experience. Also in the zoo we have Grizzly Bear. I haven't heard the full album yet, but the first single Two Weeks is one of the best songs of they year (more on that in a later post).
So here is my rough list of albums of 2009 so far:
1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
2. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
3. Metric - Fantasies
4. Joel Plaskett - Three
5. Phoenix - Wolfgng Amadeus Pheonix
6. Bat for Lashes - Two Suns
7. U2 - No Line on the Horizon
8. J Tillman - Vacilando Territory Blues
9. Bon Iver - Blood Bank
10. Gentleman Reg - Jet Black
11. Death Cab for Cutie - The Open Door EP
12. Franz Ferdinand - Tonight
13. Charles Spearin - The Hapiness Project