Welcome to my third annual installment of “10 Reasons why you should cheer for (insert team name here)”, although I’m not sure why I haven’t just renamed it to “10 Reasons why you should cheer for the NFC team and not the AFC team”. The purpose of this article is to help people sitting on the fence to fall of the fence on one side or the other. It is a serious article and I truly hope it does not entertain you.
10. Lets be superficial here, gold and black not only is more intimidating than blue and white, it also looks better. When people have the blues they are said. When they have gold they are happy. Simple colour theory.
9. Where the heck is Indianapolis and what is so exciting about it? Sure they have the Pacers and their 0.347 winning percentage and a big raceway, but other than that? Snore. Meanwhile New Orleans is the home of the Mardi Gras spectacle and is the birthplace of jazz. A Superbowl party in New Orleans would be much more exciting than one in Indiana.
8. The Colts won Super Box XLI in 2007. I’m not sure about you, but I would rather watch a new episode of LOST than watch a re-run. Also how can you not cheer for the team that has never won it before?
7. Drew Brees. He is the man. While Ray Lewis is in a league of his own when it come to pumping up the team before a game, Drew comes pretty close (see video at end of post). Not only does he pump up his team, but he has also pumped a city and helped a city get back to normal after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.
6. Jeremy Shockey will hunt you down if you don’t cheer for the Saints.
5. Archie Manning (Colts QB Peyton’s dad) was a QB for the Saints for ten years. He still lives there and has close connections to the city. Both of his sons have Superbowl rings and have had their chance, so even if his son’s team loses, it is a win-win situation for him as the team that he is closely associated with would be champions.
4. When is the last time a horse has done anything for you? The car has made the horse and buggy irrelevant. When is the last time a saint has done anything for you? Well Jolly Ol’ Saint Nicholas fills your shoes with candy every year.
3. The key to success is a healthy and balanced diet. Now while Peyton Manning may be the best chocolate in the superbowl box, you can not survive on just chocolate alone. You need your brocolli, baby carrots, bread, milk, and sunshine. With Brees, Colston, Meachem, Henderson, Shockey, Thomas, Bell, and Bush, you have just that.
2. The Saints bandwagon has shinier rims and shock absorbers.
1. And the final reason, the one that I use year after year. The one that is meant to pull on your heart strings if all those strings have not yet been pulled: Cheer for the underdog. Sure these are two very good teams led by two of the best QBs in the game. But just take a peak at NFL.com and the overwhelming majority of experts peg the Colts to win the Superbowl. Reality TV and drama are not made up of the favourites ruling all, they are made up of the underdog coming from behind to melt your heart and put a smile on all. So get out your black and gold and cheer on Whodat Nation.