Tuesday, December 19, 2006

2006 In Music Part 1

2006 has been quite the year in music. Many of the promising new bands that popped up on the music scene in 2004 or 2005 came out with their second major releases. This includes Razorlight, The Killers, Keane, the Scissor Sisters, and Jet. It also included anticipated releases by established artists such as Audioslave, Muse, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the Who.

For the next few days I am going to countdown to what I think was the album of the year. We'll start off with albums 10-15.

15. Matt Mays - When the Angels Make Contact
I haven't really listened to the album enough to give it a proper ranking but what I've heard I've liked.
Tracks to download:When the Angels Make Contact, Spoonfull of Sugar

14. Audioslave - Revelations
I was pretty dissapointed by this album. Their first two albums are spectacular, but this album is just more of the same. The guitar solos just sound like they were recycled from past songs. Its not horrible, but I just thought they could do something better with a 3rd album.
Tracks to download: Revelations, Sound of a Gun, Wide Awake

13. Scissor Sisters - Tah-dah
I started listening to this 'slightly' gay band after their first release. People thought they were kind of catchy and it seemed like they were a band I could like without having it murdered on the radio. Well thank you C-100, thats what you have done. Oh well now everybody knows who they are.
Tracks to download: She's My Man, Lights, Everybody Wants the Same Thing, The Other Side

12. Jet - Shine On
I was ready to be dissapointed. The first album was full of the Aussies livin it up like rock stars and cranking out the tunes full blast. As catchy as the songs were they weren't all that original, often sounding like fellow Australians AC/DC. Well the second album is a step in the right direction but it is pretty obvious they toured with Oasis and that they listened to the Beatles growing up. Its not bad though, well worth a listen.
Tracks to download: Bring It On Back, Shine On, Stand Up

11. Kasabian - Empire
I just started listening to them over a week ago. As Borat would say; "I like, how much?". They sort of sound like the Newsboys, just not Christian and a little more electric. I higly recommend checking them out.
Tracks to download: Empire, Shoot the Runner, Stuntman




10. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
These guys ripped up the charts in the U.K. like there was no tomorrow. They were huge, their album becoming the fastest-selling debut album in UK chart history. They became big by distributing free demo cds and having there music posted on the internet. I blame them in part for the rise of myspace music and all the bands who try to acheive fame throught the internet music community. None-the-less it was a pretty impressive album, worthy of the hype.
Tracks to download: A Certain Romance, When the Sun Goes Down, Mardy Bum, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

1 comment:

Jillisn said...

From the two minutes I've heard of Kasabian on Myspace - they don't sound like the Newsboys! :P Although I kinda like them. There's something hypnotic... Mwaa.

Hope you're enjoying your break!