Saturday, December 13, 2008

2008 In Music Albums 21-25

21. Hot Chip - Made In the Dark
This album is one of those albums that suffers in my rankings because it was released so long ago and hasn't really stuck with me all year long. However there are some great tracks on it that make you want to dance a little, or be a robot. I remember the first time I listened to this album was late at night while I was laying in my bed not able to sleep. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. The next day it didn't sound quite as magical.

Favourites:Ready For the Floor, Touch Too Much, One Pure Thought

22. Beck - Modern Guilt
This is an album that has the potential to be higher on my list. I have a few Beck albums, but still don't get blown away by his music or anything. I do love the beats he always incorporates with smart lyrics and guitars.

Favourites: Walls, Gamma Ray, Profanity Prayers






23. The Stills - Oceans Will Rise
Being a band from Montreal, and being a band on the Arts & Crafts label meant I had to check these guys out. A pretty impressive album although I find it a little heavy in the first few tracks and loses its grip on you after the first bunch of songs.

Favourites: Snow In California, Panic

24. R.E.M. - Accelerate
Disappointment of the year for me? This was one of the albums I bought the cd and waited until the release to listen to it. I had high expectations, and saw positive reviews, but was let down. I rarely listen to it. Although there are some great songs on it.

Favourites: Supernatural Superserious, Accelerate, Mr. Richards



25. Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now Youngster/We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
Not many bands release two full length albums in the same year. But Los Campesinos! have done just that. I've included them in one slot just because I do like both albums, but haven't listened to them in much detail. My first listen was on an Arts & Crafts sampler last year, so that made me check them out. Some really long songtitles, and very teenage lyrics thrown at you at 100 miles and hour.

Favourites: You! Me! Dancing!, Don't Tell Me To Do the Maths, Death to Los Campesinos!

No comments: