Monday, September 14, 2009

Ocean ramblings


This brainwave hit me while riding the ferry from Nova Scotia to PEI. It was a beautiful sunny summer day. I was standing looking out over the ocean most of the time, with my headphones in. Listening to bands such as Hey Rosetta! and Joel Plaskett. And there seemed to be such a connection between the ocean and music. I don't know what it is, who knows, maybe people who live in the mountains feel a big connection between the lakes and mountains of the area. But I find listening to music and seeing the ocean go in hand in hand, like the ocean inspires the creativity. The ocean is vast and can look endless. It can be a source of beauty as the waves crash, or the sun sets. It can be a horrible thing, destroying the land, taking lives. So I feel like the impact of the ocean on my life has made me understand a band like Hey Rosetta! who are from the Rock in the Atlantic. Or Joel Plaskett making music from a coastal city. Maybe thats why I like these artists so much. Or maybe it goes back to growing up on artists such as the Rankin Family, Irish Descendants, Great Big Sea....There's just something special about the music that the ocean inspires.

1 comment:

julia said...

"theres just something about the ocean..."